Herpes is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. The virus exhibits two variants – herpes simplex virus type – 1 and herpes simplex virus type – 2 that are responsible for cold sores and genital herpes respectively. Although the virus is mostly asymptomatic in nature, in some cases it may appear in the form of lesions on lips, mouth and the genitilia. It is also worth noting that herpes is spread by direct physical contact with the infected region in addition to sexual intercourse.
If you’re living with herpes, the following home remedies for herpes will help:
- Cold compress: A lot of people living with herpes are aware of the fact that ice cubes can effectively be used to reduce the pain or redness associated with herpes symptoms. You may either apply ice cubes directly or use an ice bad. Repeat the process every 3 to 4 hours to reduce the redness or pain of the sores.
- Lemon: All you need to do is cut the lemon into halves and place the cut area directly on the infected region. You may place the lemon on the sores for as long as you want but remember to replace it after some time.
- Wet tea bags: Start off by soaking a black tea bag in a cup of warm water for a few moments. Apply the wet tea bag to the affected areas. It is the anti – inflammatory and anti – viral property of tea that makes it an effective agent in treatment of herpes symptoms.
- Aloe Vera juice: Applying aloe vera extract or juice directly to the infected area for 10 – 15 days to see optimum results. Consumption of aloe vera juice on an empty stomach is also beneficial.
- Honey: Honey is an amazing remedy for a host of ailments. Honey can be used as an effective agent in treatment of herpes symptoms as well. All you need to do is apply honey to the affected area for about 30 – 40 minutes and wash it off. Repeat the procedure for 3 – 4 times a day for optimum results.
- Milk: Milk is said to be an amazing remedy for sores on the body. In order to treat the symptoms of herpes, apply cold milk on the infected area for about 15 minutes and wash it off. The monocarpin fat present in milk helps in dealing with the virus.
While antiviral drugs are known to be highly effective in treating the symptoms associated with the herpes simplex virus, following the aforementioned natural home remedies can prove to be vital in the treatment.